Recent Rates of Vaginal Delivery for Breech Presentation By Country
- Japan 56% Findings: Poor outcome 1.2% vaginal delivery/ 0.0% cesarean
- Sweden 52%. Findings: No statistically significant difference between vaginal birth and cesarean section babies for perinatal/neonatal outcomes.
- Norway 40%
- Finland 39% Findings: Less birth trauma for vaginal breech deliveries than vaginal vertex deliveries. More trauma for breech vaginal delivery than breech CS, but lower long-term morbidity for breech vaginal than breech cesarean deliveries. Breech vaginal death 0.07%, vertex vaginal delivery death 0.02%.
- Sweden 37%. Findings: Infant mortality, birth injury and convulsions higher for breech vaginal birth than breech CS
- Ireland 23% Findings: No nonanomalous perinatal deaths, significant trauma, or neurological dysfunctions for vaginally or CS delivered breech babies.
- Denmark 15.3% Findings: Higher rates of puerperal fever and pelvic infections for CS breech delivery.
- California 4.9% Findings: Neonatal mortality, asphyxia, brachial plexus injury, and birth trauma higher for vaginally delivered breech than CS. If woman had a previous vaginal delivery no difference in neonatal mortality by delivery mode.
- Canada <5%